Saturday, March 17, 2012

Togetherness

Today, by chance, I met a friend who was feeling very alone.  She was so relieved to see me, and said something about how she felt so much better now that she had someone to be with.  I agreed: "Everything's always easier when someone's with you."  My friend and I then spent rather a lot of time together, and it was much more enjoyable than spending the time alone would have been.

My statement, said so carelessly, really resonated within me.  As Christians, we are never alone; God is always with us, trying to guide us, support us, and love us (when we'll let Him).  That was such a comfort to me today, after spending a large part of the day worrying about aspects of my life that I absolutely cannot control, and am not even entirely sure that I'm following God's will.  Re-realizing that God was with me, and still is, and always will be and wants to take my worries and take care of everything, was such a blessing today.  And God is a better friend and companion than my friend today ever could be; He will always love and support me.

That was a reminder that I needed, too; I have gotten to the end of this day and have realized that I spent way too much of the day trying to deal with my emotions in worldly, selfish ways.  It's not working.  I realize, again, how much I need God, and how much I can't do this--life, I guess--by myself.

No comments:

Post a Comment