Monday, March 19, 2012

Faith

I've been thinking a lot about faith in the past two days.  Yesterday I watched an episode of Star Trek: Deep Space Nine ("Accession") where religion and the idea of faith was an important part of the plot.  It played with the idea of faith and how far you should be willing to go based just on religious faith (and implicitly criticized the idea of following blindly based solely on faith--which, honestly is something I can agree with.  The difference between the faith in the show and my faith is that their faith is truly based on people, following super-advanced aliens (although they're not evil), whereas I am following an all-knowing, all-powerful God.  I feel that my faith is based on something truly worthy and rock-solid).

Today, the idea was mentioned that religion is ultimately, like superstition, humans doing irrational things in the mistaken belief/faith that it will do something.  Which actually brought me back to "Accession", because a character said something along the lines of, "People without faith can't understand that faith; people with faith don't need to understand it."  I honestly thought that was a beautiful line.

But all of these things made me think about what I think about faith, as well.  Everyone talks about faith as if it's someone blindly believing in something that they can't prove or touch or ever know if it really exists--but I don't see my faith like that at all.  Yes, I try to follow wherever God leads me, I suppose blindly, and as to the future, I certain am following God blindly, trying to have faith that it will work out.  So I suppose in that sense my faith is the typical idea of 'faith'.  But in so many other ways, my faith isn't like that at all.  I'm not just hoping that God exists; I know He exists.  I've felt Him, He's worked changes in my life that I never could.  I suppose His existence isn't something I could ever prove to anyone else, but I have seen proof of Him in my life.

No comments:

Post a Comment