Thursday, March 29, 2012

1 Samuel 8

This is the chapter where the Israelites ask God for a king.  I feel like this is such a relevant chapter.  They want a king because Samuel's sons aren't good judges--they want stability, a set chain of successors, the don't want to have to depend on God to bring a new, good judge every time one dies.  They want a king because everyone else has one--peer pressure.  Neither of those reasons are good reasons to want anything.  And God says to Samuel to tell them that that's not what He wants, that it's a sin, and that it's just a new form of idolatry.  I thought that last reason was really interesting--I've never heard the idea of idolatry not being just about false gods in the Bible before, or at least not in the Old Testament (were kings seen as gods?).  Also can't help noticing that God said, "This isn't what I want, but if they keep asking for it I'll give it to them."  Does God really do this?  Even when it's so not in our best interests?  Sometimes I feel like God does that with me, when I ask for something I know I shouldn't and He says yes anyway.  Does He really say yes to every prayer? (if He does, I should be a lot more careful what I pray for!).  But it seems to me that 'No' is an answer to a prayer, even if it's not necessarily the answer you wanted.  But I've also only really noticed that in more personal prayers: "Should I have dessert tonight?" But God also seems to say no to other prayers, to prayers of healing (does going to heaven count as healing?), for peace in wars and food for the hungry.  But maybe I'm just looking at the wrong perspective or not doing enough.

No comments:

Post a Comment