Saturday, March 31, 2012

1 Samuel 13

This chapter is about Saul's rule as king.  It starts out with him doing something stupid--irritating the Philistines--and then just doing something wrong--sacrificing to the Lord when he'd been told to wait for Samuel to do anything.  Just thinking, "Man, he messed up.  Don't be like that!"  But I am like that!  I'm imperfect and I sin all the time, more than I know.  So what right do I have to judge Saul, any more than I have the right to judge someone that I've met in person or heard about from a friend?  And it just struck me suddenly to see the Bible as the stories of hundreds of flawed people searching for God.  Some of them, like Saul, ultimately failed.  They all failed and sinned at least once, whether the story of it is recorded in the Bible or not.  Instead of judging their failures, why not learn from their mistakes?

No comments:

Post a Comment