Friday, March 9, 2012

Joshua 9

Just reading this whole section, I've been struck by the total pitilessness of the Israelites, in this whole book, killing everything in what would become their land, from people right on down to goats, and burning everything in their cities.  I know God is pitiless when fighting against evil, I know the people in the land were evil; I know that the ones who weren't killed tempted and misled the Israelites for hundreds of years.  But it still troubles me, still seems like genocide.

Anyway, back to this chapter.  This chapter is the one where the Israelites are tricked into making a pact with the Gibeonites even though they live in their land.  And the whole reason that they do that is because they didn't ask God before leaping.  It even says that in verse 14.  That verse really struck me, because I know there's been way too much of that, of not asking God before leaping, going on in my own life recently.  Lord, please help me to rely on my own judgements less and Yours more.

No comments:

Post a Comment