Tuesday, May 15, 2012

Romans 6

This chapter just really struck me today as being very, very true. Paul speaks of our sinful nature being crucified with Christ, slavery to sin vs. to righteousness, our new life, obedience. I was especially struck by two things: firstly, the idea of being in slavery to sin. That struck me as a really good metaphor, actually. When you're not a Christian, you may see yourself as free from all the silly rules of Christianity, but really you're not free at all because you have no control over your own sinful nature. You sin because you can't help yourself, and often don't even realize it. I'm not saying that this isn't also true of Christians, because it is--Christians are sinful creatures too, after all. But Christians have God to fall back on and to condemn them and to help them fight against sin.

Secondly, I was really struck by Paul's use of the opposite metaphor (if I can call it that), of being slaves of righteousness. I know I've read this chapter before, but it's never struck me before the way it did today. We not only should do what's right, we need to do what's right--Christ bought us, paid for us with His blood and death, body and soul. When He asks us to do something, it's not a casual order--it's something we need to do.

I know, the idea of being a slave is a little uncomfortable, to say the least. Aren't we supposed to be free in Christ? In many ways we are--God allows us the choice, after all, to follow Him or not. He doesn't force us to do anything: we have free will, and He will love us no matter what we do. But the idea of being a slave means we have no choice, right? Well, maybe (a slave could disobey, after all, it just wouldn't be pleasant for them. I suppose rather similar to a Christian's situation, because we can disobey, but sin is not pleasant). But being a slave also means that you have a duty to do every single thing you're asked to do by your master--true of Christians. I suppose the imagery also acknowledges our inferiority and debt to God and Jesus--we are so far below Him, after all, and have a debt to Him that we can never ever repay.

No comments:

Post a Comment