Sunday, May 13, 2012

Romans 4

Paul describes how we are saved through faith and belief, not through works or circumcision. As I read, I thought about Martin Luther and Calvin and many of the other early Protestants, and how they really emphasized this (although thinking more, it might have been grace, not faith, that they really emphasized, especially Calvin). When I learned about this in history, it was portrayed very much as if Luther or Calvin or whoever had a brilliant idea that no one else had ever thought of before, and that was part of their popularity. Yes, I realize now that's ridiculous, on so many levels. But what I wanted to say about that was that it's not true that the idea originated with any of those men; it was already in the Bible, and they were just emphasizing something different than the Catholic Church was.

This chapter also talks a lot about Abraham and his faith. I must say, I don't actually like Abraham that much, although not for any reason that I could put my finger on. But Paul's description really made me realize and admire Abraham's amazing faith.

No comments:

Post a Comment