Wednesday, May 23, 2012

Nehemiah 3

Most of this chapter is a list of names and places. My first reaction was to sigh--there's a lot of those lists--but this one was different. It was a list of people/groups and what part of Jerusalem's wall they rebuilt. It's pretty amazing, when you think about it, that a group of refugees, basically, managed to build their city. And they did it by all working together and each rebuilding their small part. Another example of each person doing their small, seemingly hopeless part and God making it work out.

************************************************************************

As a matter of fact, a few hours after originally writing this, God brought this home to me, in perhaps the opposite way of the chapter mentioned above. I found myself up late, very late (as you can all see from when I'm posting this), and regretting it very much. Staying up late like this is something that I know God doesn't like, something that I regret every time I do it no matter what the reason (although some reasons are better than others), and something that is ultimately harmful to me. Not that that stops me from doing it, something I've been wrestling with on and off for several years. Tonight, as I was thinking about the seemingly impossibility of bringing myself around to common sense, God said to me, "I would never ask you to do something that was impossible if you trust in Me." It may seem hopeless, but if I work with God on this, He can work it out. An incredibly comforting thought.

No comments:

Post a Comment