Monday, September 12, 2011

Thoughts

No Bible this morning.  Instead I've been thinking, mostly about conversations I've had with someone recently.  Haven't agreed with him much, but was never sure why.  Going to try and hash it all out here.

"There is no Satan; everyone is partly good and partly evil, saying that anyone is purely good or purely evil is extreme."
Don't know if I believe in Satan--although the Bible's perfectly clear on it, so I probably should.  Also, interestingly, he's seen as a presence in Haiti--but I do believe in pure evil.  And it makes sense that if You're the manifestation of pure good, then there must be a manifestation of pure evil, as well.  Sense of balance.  Is true that no one is purely good or evil, but I'm also inclined to think that most people tend one way or the other.  Maybe that's just from seeing too many movies and books, though.  Do think it's bad that 'evil' has connotations of evil, only used when something's really bad, but 'good' is used in so many different ways in everyday life, and doesn't have as much of a connotation of being used when something's really good.  Please help me to use 'good' only when I really mean it.

"We have to always do good, enjoyable things."
That's not exactly what he said, but... anyway, I disagree.  Happiness doesn't depend on only having good things happen to you.  It may help, but it ultimately depends on you.  And You.

"Freedom is a good thing.  I think everyone should be free to do what they want--but not anything that would harm anyone."
Disagree.  I think our deepest nature is good, in the purest sense of the word, but evil is so much easier that if we were given complete freedom, with no guide-lines at all, our natural tendency would be to do what's easy, what's evil.  And the classification, "but not anything that would harm anyone" can't really be said, party because it restricts 'freedom' and so isn't really valid, and partly because--what's harm?  Physical harm?  Emotional harm?  How much emotional and physical harm?  When someone has complete freedom other than that, I think it would be easy to chip away and chip away at your only restrain until it wasn't there at all.  And I believe that You give me freedom, by giving me rules.  I know, that didn't make any sense.  But it sort of does.  The rules help us avoid evil and sin, both of which enslave us to our own impulses and to evil.

No comments:

Post a Comment