Friday, August 31, 2012

Reflections

I had my fellowship group tonight, and it was the first serious meeting of the semester.

It made me think about a few things. The first is witnessing. I've written here before about how uncomfortable I am with witnessing, or even just with thoughtfully engaging with a culture. But I've really been feeling a calling to really focus on witnessing to others this semester, more than on my personal relationship with God, which I think was my focus last semester. (Not that I'm going to ignore my personal relationship with Him! I just honestly didn't even think about witnessing at all last semester, so it's a very different focus). I'm realizing more and more how it's a vital part of Christianity, loving Jesus so much that you want to tell others about Him. Does not being willing to do that mean that you're not Christian, that you don't love Jesus enough? I don't know, just something I've been thinking about. So I've make a commitment to talking about my belief in God/Jesus more, something that's met with limited succes so far (in terms of me having the courage to talk about it, I mean).

The second thing was wealth. We were discussing Acts 2:42-47, and there's a verse in there where the disciples sell their wealth and use the money to help others who really need it. I have so much wealth, really--I have lots of stuff, and I'm in college. I know there are things I own that I could do without. I really felt a condemnation, really, about how little I've been giving to others lately, at least monetarily.

No comments:

Post a Comment