Thursday, January 24, 2013

Psalm 116

God is faithful. We should love God because of the good that He's done in the past. But isn't that a bit selfish? Shouldn't we love God because He's the Creator and Ruler of the universe and the Savior and because He died for me? I guess those all fall into the first category, of loving God just for what He's done for me. Also all still loving God for what He's done, not who He is. But how would we know who He was if not through His actions? How would we know who anyone was? Our actions define us, define how others see us. It's easier to praise God for His actions--those are things that we've experiences, concrete experiences--as opposed to praising a character trait, something a bit vague and something I may or may not have experienced. But when we praise a character trait, what are we doing but thinking of all the times we've experienced that trait in our relationship with God? I know that's what I do.

No comments:

Post a Comment